Sunday, February 3, 2008

Give a Hoot, Don't Pollute






I'm must be bad e-person. A good e-person would be vigilant, productive, would not resent words like "blog," or, so much worse, "blogosphere." But here we are.

I have actually been busy. I read some really interesting books about where our food comes from (The Omnivores Dilemma by Michael Pollan and Animal, Vegetable, Miracle by Barbara Kingsolver), which has led to pursuits such as obtaining a city permit for egg-laying hens, and obsessive baking of bread. And, of course, sewing. And recycling. And gathering of plastic bags for more recycling.

Anyway, here are some products of the last month's work. These were sent to San Francisco, but more are always on the way. I do have to point out a couple of things. First, that the orange and yellow messenger is made from those bags newspapers come in--you know, it lands on your doorstep in a plastic bag to keep the rain and snow out. And second, that Woodsy Owl, who's pictured on the front flap of the first messenger, was one of the icons of my childhood. My dad was in forestry and general outdoors fun and was always bringing home this keep-the-woods-clean paraphanalia. So when I discovered a Woodsy Owl litter bag in a stash of bags I'd been given, I said Ok Woodsy, I'll give a hoot. I won't pollute. Then I ironed him into eternal radness.

4 comments:

  1. Where is the awesome "thank you" bag? I heard that it was amazing, even though there were doubts about its awesomeness prior to completion.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh rookie. what would i do without you? here's the thing...you know our mutual friend and acquaintance tc? well, he's kind of my photo-taking-and-editing helper, and he hasn't finished editing the bag you referenced. but don't let that diminish the idea of its rad perfection in your mind. it was a great idea and i'm sorry i ever doubted you. thanks again friend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dangit. I get blamed for everything.

    ReplyDelete
  4. hi bekah! i'm digging the bags. i like how you take the time to make not so cool stuff (i.e. newspaper bags) into cool stuff. just think... if everyone took time to make not so cool stuff into cool stuff, we'd run out of not so cool stuff.

    ReplyDelete