Thursday, April 28, 2011

Slow Progress

I know I've been very clear about how I feel regarding Minnesota's version of spring this year.  I don't know if you could call it SAD quite; I just need me some sun.  Like, really really bad.

And apparently the basil I've been sprouting on my desk feels the same way.  These guys are at least a month old, and maybe I'm just impatient, but I am pretty sure they should be way bigger.  I'm too spazzy (read: short attention span) to be that great of a green thumb, so these little friends probably have more obstacles to overcome than just a lack of sunshine.  I was planning on plopping them on my kitchen counter once the plants are fully developed, so I can use them for cooking and eating, but at this point I'm not sure we'll ever get there.  But then again, maybe I'm just being hysterical because of the rain.





But!  Awesome aside:  check out the sweet mango tree I'm also growing in the same pot.  It turns out, if you pry open that massive hairy pod in the middle of a mango, there's a giant lima-bean-shaped seed inside.  Which I sprouted by sticking in some dirt.  Much like the avocado pit I sprouted a few years ago and is now a 5-foot tall tree potted in my front room.  Yay food sprouts!


No comments:

Post a Comment